Skip To Main Content

Logo Image

Logo Title

Work Permits

  • Work Permits

    The State of Michigan requires that all minors under 18 years of age must obtain a work permit or a written agreement or contract entered into between the employer and the governing school district, public school academy, or nonpublic school before starting work.


    To read more about the State of Michigan's Youth Employment Standards Act (YESA), click here.


    Students may request a blank work permit in person from Mrs. Watson at the board office, or you may print a blank one using the following links:


    Work Permit for minors under 16 years of age - must be printed in landscape orientation.

    Work Permit for minors 16 and 17 years of ageWork Permit


    The minor fills out Section 1 in ink, then the employer will fill out Section 2. The permit must be signed by an administrator at the board office before the student returns the completed permit to the employer. You must do this in person at the board office with your ID.  The ID must have the minor's date of birth. Mrs. Watson will take a copy of the work permit and return the original to the student.  


    If the minor changes jobs, a new work permit is required for the new employer.